Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Straight bows with a bow



I remember teachers putting pieces of colored tape under my strings to encourage me to follow it and give them nice straight bows.  So when I started teaching, that's what I did, to some success.  But the other day during WonderGirl's lesson, I almost went looking for the tape but I found some ribbon first.



It's so simple - grab some pretty ribbon and tie it around the fiddle.  It doesn't move, doesn't get in the way of the strings, and she  loves accessorizing ANYTHING, so it fits her perfectly.


I tell her to aim her bow over it, and she does.  Mostly.  She's a work in progress, but every day is better and better.  Teaching isn't an exact science - it's looking for what will click with each kid and hoping it works.  Ribbons for my little girl are the ticket - I think when the Dude starts violin, I'll have to wind a rubber snake around it for him.



I love my little fiddler :)



3 comments:

Desiree said...

Love it!

Jane said...

I love that you're planning to find a snake to wrap around your kids' violin. That's awesome.

Harriet M. Welsch said...

"Teaching isn't an exact science - it's looking for what will click with each kid and hoping it works." Yes, yes, a thousand times, yes. This is what I love about teaching one on one. Trying to figure out how to bring that same flexibility and communication into a classroom setting is one of my biggest goals as a teacher.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...