Friday, January 21, 2011

Car talk

Time spent in the car can be oh-so educational.
During the commute to WonderGirl's preschool, the local NPR station changes from news to classical music.  I'm more of a Romantic period and beyond person, though our local station usually starts with some Baroque and early Classical periods and reserves the wilder contemporary stuff to play during the pledge drives.  Grrr.... but I digress.  I still loves me some Bach, and so do the kids.

When the music comes on, we play a game of Name That Instrument - where I ask her what instruments she can hear and how many we can identify.  This morning there was a Baroque trumpet concerti so the soloist sounded like a Alvin and the Chipmunks-type version of the trumpet.  I ended up having to spell the word out for her so she could guess it that way - woohoo, throwing in a spelling lesson!

Do you play any listening games in the car?  Elsewhere?  Share!

1 comment:

Jane said...

Don't you hate that on NPR? Bugs me to death that the music I know is only played during the pledge drives and then not in it's entirety. I know, learn more music Jane, but I am a plebe and when they play Beethovan's 5th I want to hear it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...