Monday, March 26, 2012

Practicing tricks: video star

A few weeks ago I got the bright idea to use my smart phone for something smart!  I recorded WonderGirl playing her latest song at the beginning of our violin lesson, and had her watch it.  Then I asked her to be the teacher and tell me first what she'd done well and then what she could improve on.  I resisted the urge to add my own input which was VERY difficult as a mom and a teacher!

Then, we recorded her again a few times (watching and critiquing her try after each take) until she'd made some real progress on her trouble spots and we called it a day.  Later on at dinner, we played the first video and then the last one for Daddy.  The difference between the two was eye opening and really impressive, even to him!

We could have used our camera, but I had the phone right there and it was quick and convenient.  The best part was she was the teacher, and I was just the coach and camera-mom.  I LOVE any opportunity to give WG the reigns and take responsibility over her playing.  And she loves watching videos of herself (good thing she got me as a mom, huh? ;)  You don't need a smart phone to try this, most basic phones with a camera have video capabilities.  The novelty is priceless, as well.  Try it and let me know how it turns out!

1 comment:

Jane said...

Good thing you got a girl who likes to watch herself. That technique would NOT work on me. I'd rather do the whole thing with my eyes shut than maybe catch a glimpse in a shiny object, let alone watch an entire video.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...