Friday, June 24, 2011

Living Room Dance Party #14

image
This morning as I was waking up, WonderGirl climbed into my bed, dragging her little one-octave toy piano onto the covers, and exclaimed she could play a song she'd heard on Little Einsteins.  Then she proceeded to play me the main theme to Smetna's Moldau!!  I don't think I could have been more proud!  I told her all about how it was written to sound as if you were floating down a river, hearing the waves roll and the distant sound from the banks, but at that point she was more interested in breakfast.  So I'm telling you.

It's not a long piece - just over 10 minutes, but it's still a bit long for an attention span. 
  • It begins with beautiful rolling lines from the woodwinds, and as soon as it starts, pretend you are floating on the waves, getting bigger and bigger as the line drops into the strings. 
  • About a minute in, the main theme starts and you float and glide all over the room. 
  • Around the 3 minute mark, you hear proper dance music as played by a wedding on the banks of the river, and the dancing changes dramatically.  WonderGirl insisted I waltz with her.
After that, she and the Dude both wandered on, coming back in the room to dance when a familiar theme started to play.  It's such a lovely piece, great for dancing or background music.



Here's a lovely download version from Amazon with Leonard Bernstein: The Moldau (Vltava) - Symphonic Poem No. 2 from "My Fatherland (Ma Vlast).  Have fun!

PS - I also just added it to the Living Room Dance Party playlist on youtube.  I don't know about you, but we are really enjoying that! :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...